Poison Prevention for Bellevue Pets
When it comes to keeping our pets healthy, it doesn’t just stop at regular wellness exams or dental visits. Making sure they’re safe from the common -- and less common -- poisons that Bellevue area pets may be exposed to is a big part of being a responsible pet owner. This March is Pet Poison Awareness Month, and with the recent reports of xylitol poisoning in dogs, we thought it would be the perfect time to make sure pet parents know what to watch out for.
The most recent culprit, store bought peanut butter sometimes contain an ingredient called xylitol. It’s an artificial sweetener that can be deadly for our canine friends, causing a rapid drop in blood sugar, diarrhea, seizures and liver failure. Xylitol also shows up in sugar free gums, mints and candies, so be sure to keep your pups out of your stash!
With house plants trending all over home design magazines, it’s important to keep in mind that not all foliage is made equally when it comes to your pets. Lilies, azaleas, tulips and daffodils are big culprits for both cats and dogs. For a full list, check out the Pet Poison Help site. Keep in mind that this also goes for bouquets, too.
It’s probably pretty obvious that your pets shouldn’t be eating grub and snail killers, fertilizers or insecticides. Beyond that, there are certain plants and fungi that can be pet poisons. Certain deadly mushroom varieties (appropriately named Death Caps) are problems for Pacific Northwesterners. For effective poison prevention with Bellevue area pets, make sure you’re keeping an eye on any fungi growing in your yard.
If you’re trying to create a better smelling and more relaxing environment with essential oils, you might need to do a bit of research. Essential oil diffusers disperse the product into the air, meaning that your pup or kitty can be breathing them in all day (and night, potentially). What’s fine for humans isn’t always safe for pets, though. Tea tree, pennyroyal, wintergreen, and pine are some of the most common oils that cause major health problems for pets. It’s not just diffusers, either. If you apply an oil to your skin and then your pet licks the area, they could become ill as well.
If you ever have any questions about potential poisons or toxins for Bellevue pets, please feel free to reach out to us here at Bellevue Animal Hospital.